State of Michigan Requirements Overview
Total Hours: 18
General/Elective Hours: 12
State Mandated Legal Update Hours: 6
License Renewal Period: 2013 - 2015
Real Estate License Renewal Information
- Only courses that begin with the letter "M" count toward renewal.
- No credit for duplicate courses (those with the same number following the "M").
- Course numbers that begin M5xxx provide credit toward the state mandated Legal Update.
All Real Estate Licenses Expire October 31, 2015
- If a license is initially issued on or before 10/31/2013, 18 total hours are needed.
- If a license is initially issued between 11/01/2013 and 10/31/2014, 12 total hours are needed.
- If a license is initially issued between 11/01/2014 and 06/30/2015, 6 total hours are needed.
- If a license is initially issued between 07/01/2015 and 10/31/2015, no hours are needed this cycle.
Seat Time: The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) requires that all students spend a minimum amount of seat time engaged in the course content. All courses must take the minimum amount of time it is approved for based on 50 minute hours. For example, if the course is approved for 3 "clock hours", it must take a minimum of 150 minutes for the student to complete.
Now is a great time to check your continuing education status with the State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). *The LARA site tracks courses taken through December 31, 2014. Courses taken in 2015 and beyond will not be tracked on the LARA site. Members must keep track of their own course certificates and hours taken. Courses taken that have been approved through the Michigan Realtors® CE Marketplace will be tracked here. To get started with the CE Marketplace, follow these instructions.
To check your continuing education credits with LARA:
- Go to Michigan License Verification Website
- Click the Search by Name or License Number option
- Click the Submit button
- Enter the requested information: you can search by last name only. (Note: if searching by name, you MUST click the 'Search Individuals' button, and 'Real Estate' from the Profession drop-down menu)
- Click the Search button
- Click on your Name
- Click on the 'continuing education' link under the "License Information" section
Look for courses that contain the letter "L" in the Series column. Courses whose last 4-numbers begin with a "5" provide credit toward the state mandated legal update (i.e., "L5xxx").
Important Note: Take note of your approval numbers. The State of Michigan will not give any credit for duplicated courses.
Continuing Education ExamplesThis agent still requires 16 hours of continuing education and at least 6 of those hours must be approved for the state mandated legal update.
State of Michigan Real Estate License Links