Each year in Michigan, tens of thousands of real estate transactions take place. Occasionally disputes develop over these business transactions. Over the years, a number of efficient, voluntary procedures to resolve these disputes privately, promptly and economically have developed.
Advantages to Alternative Dispute Resolution
- It solves problems, rather than simply deciding the dispute.
- It resolves disputes quickly, usually within weeks, rather than years.
- It prevents future conflicts, as well as resolving present ones.
- It emphasizes constructive relationships, rather than adversarial positions.
- Customer relationships survive, so goodwill and potential referrals are preserved.
- It allows parties to negotiate based on their interest, to understand their own needs, and decide what they are willing or not willing to concede.
- It is confidential, not a public proceeding or a matter of public record.
- It allows those most familiar with the problem, the disputing parties, to create the solution, which ensures that the solution will work.